Undead Overlords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

It's a TRAP!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Asdarken

Rep : 1

It's a TRAP! Empty
PostSubject: It's a TRAP!   It's a TRAP! EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 9:58 pm

Here is a fairly through guide to the trap system in Dungeon Overlord - Server: Infernal Abyss

There are 10 traps in total:
Alarm Trap
Dampening Totem
Fireball Trap
Freeze Trap
Grease Trap
Healing Totem
Ink Trap
Poison Trap
Screw Trap
Spike Trap

You start with 5 trap slots
Levels you gain additional trap slots: 18, 27, 37, 48, 63, 73, 83, 92
(The current max trap slots is then 13 at level 92)

Here's a quick breakdown of what they do and what you can use them for:

Alarm Trap - When activated it announcs to any creature with in 6 tiles of the attackers presence.
Also, as a side note, this is the most difficult trap to disarm for thieves.
Dampening Totem - Suppresses the use of the special abilities from creatures who activate the trap for 10 rounds.
Fireball Trap - Shoots a ball of fire at an enemy, dealig splash damage. Range 2 tiles, splash 2 tiles, damage 200. (Type: Fire)
Fireballs do not travel over lava.
Freeze Trap - When activated freeze trap holds the enemy in place for 10 rounds.
Grease Trap - When activated grease trap splashes out to 3 tiles. Affected creatures speed is slowed by 50% for 10 rounds.
Healing Totem - Activates to heal defenders by 20% of their health. Range 1 tile, splash 2 tiles.
Ink Trap - Reduces attackers defenses by 50%. Range zero, duration 10 rounds.
Poison Trap - When activated the poison trap deals 500 damage to the enemy over 10 rounds. Range 0. (Type: Poison)
Screw Trap - When activated the screw trap deals 700 damage (Splash 3 tiles) over 10 rounds. Range 0. (Type: Physical)
Screw Traps also reduce attackers accuracy by 50% for 10 rounds.
Spike Trap - When activated the spike trap deals 100 damage. Range 0. (Type: Physical)

Now a little disclaimer: What follows next is all purely my own personal opinion based on the experiences I have had in the game when working with the various traps.

I'm going to start off by trimming the fat - Specialty Traps
These traps are highly specialized and should not be used at all by players until they have an indepth understanding of the combat system:
Dampening Totems, Healing Totems and Alarm Traps. (Alarm Traps being the least 'highly specalized' but still have a very unique effect)
I'll make mention of these 3 at the end but for the most part I leave it up to you to determine their best use.

On to the meat - Damage dealers
Spike traps - Simple, cheap and effective. Not much to say about these as far as strategy goes. An enemy steps on it and gets stabbed.
Spike traps should however be replaced by more powerful traps as soon as possible.

Fireball traps - The most popular damage dealing trap. There are all kinds of strategies surrounding fireball traps.
Using them in combination with other traps can provide a vast array of options.

Poison traps - These traps are more useful in dealing with single larger enemies as they deal 2.5x as much damage as a fireball trap, but have no splash.

Screw traps - This trap deals the most damage of any trap (700 splash 2) PLUS reduces attackers ability to hit your defenders, making it the best trap overall.
The down side is that screw traps require whirling gizmoes to construct so they are not easy to make.

Next - Utility traps
Freeze Traps and Grease Traps - both have a useful effect of slowing / halting enemy movement.
The purpose of this is to give the rest of your traps more time to rearm and go off again.
The best companion trap to these is the Fireball trap due to a Fireball Traps range.
Just remember that Freeze/Grease traps do no damage on their own so you should not use more than a couple of them or you will lose their effectiveness.

Ink Traps - Excellent at helping to bring down tanks. 50% reduction to defenses means they are much easier to kill for your defenders.
(This does not reduce their resistances however) The tricky part is placing them.
You need them to be in a location where they will be triggered just before your minions begin to attack to maximize their effectiveness.

Lastly the highly specialized traps
Dampening Totems - I wouldn't suggest using these unless you are dealing with high level enemies from other dungeon overlords.
You could for example (very temporarily) turn off a balrogs fire aura, or possibly destealth a thief (I haven't tested this myself so it is up for conjecture)

Healing Totems - These could be very useful if placed in the right spots. Healing your creatures is a major advantage in a tough fight.
The difficulty here lies in placing them correctly which, in my opinion is so difficult to do as to render the trap nearly useless - due to the randomness of where creatures spawn in your dungeon. I would suggest simply putting them where you intend for your creatures to hold up and defend from as the rest is up to chance.

Alarm Trap - This trap is meant to aleart your creatures of danger, but honestly the ones you want to notice the danger already see it generally by the time this trap would be useful. If you really want your critters to see danger quickly, build a guard house and add some awareness boosting furniture.
The real use of the alarm trap is to catch Thieves. Since it has the highest disarm of all traps this is it's common use as thieves will try to disarm and very often destealth upon failure.

And a final note on trap placement
If you are traping your starter dungeon then the layout of your traps should be fairly straight forward - most players simply stick all their traps balled up in the front to maximize splash damage.
For multiple entrance dungeons you can either build a funnel which essentially leads all of the enemies to 1 entrance where you hit them with the same type of layout as is used in the single entrance design layout.
Or alternativley you can build a trap zone in a central location which synergizes with your creatures. Meaning the traps go near where your creatures spawn so that the enemy is fighting your creatures at the same time as your traps are going off.

Last edited by Asdarken on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rorix Bladewing

Rorix Bladewing

Rep : 4

It's a TRAP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's a TRAP!   It's a TRAP! EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 12:00 am

Excellent post Asdarken!
I am thinking that you would be an excellent trainer for our guild Smile
Back to top Go down
Greenfireflygirl
Admin
Greenfireflygirl

Rep : 6

It's a TRAP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's a TRAP!   It's a TRAP! EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 12:26 am

awesome post, positive rep!
Back to top Go down
https://undeadoverlords.forumotion.com
Yamero

Rep : 0

It's a TRAP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's a TRAP!   It's a TRAP! EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 12:31 am

Excellent, but I won't suggest people to try to make 4-entrance into one choking point technique, though it is a good way to defense yourself.

LoL, it wastes a lot of tile

Excellent write-up Smile
Back to top Go down
Asdarken

Rep : 1

It's a TRAP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's a TRAP!   It's a TRAP! EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 12:12 pm

Thanks guys. I just reposted this in the Chaos forum as well under Guides and Help
Back to top Go down
Yamero

It's a TRAP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's a TRAP!   It's a TRAP! EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 4:04 pm

I am posting this to my guild as well Smile
Back to top Go down
Ankhbunny

It's a TRAP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's a TRAP!   It's a TRAP! EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Yamero wrote:
Excellent, but I won't suggest people to try to make 4-entrance into one choking point technique, though it is a good way to defense yourself.

LoL, it wastes a lot of tile

Excellent write-up Smile

My 4-entrance funnel uses a lot of tiles. Maybe 50. OTOH I don't have to revive my warlocks every time I log on. I think it's a good use of tiles.
Back to top Go down
Ankhbunny

It's a TRAP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's a TRAP!   It's a TRAP! EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Managed to trim my funnel down to a svelte 29 mine tiles by building through my nodes, workshop, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

It's a TRAP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's a TRAP!   It's a TRAP! Empty

Back to top Go down

It's a TRAP!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Undead Overlords :: Guides :: Guides-
Jump to: